Here is the third installment in my ‘We Wish You a Healthy Christmas’ series.
I am going to be honest with you! I really like mozzarella (and bocconcini), however, I don’t cook with it much as I am lactose intolerant and my husband and I try to avoid dairy as we try and stick to a Paleo lifestyle. I also know a lot of you don’t eat dairy. Having said that, I still wanted to share with you one of my favourite appetizers of all time.
Prosciutto and Mozzarella Skewers (or Prosciutto and Bocconcini Skewers as they are called in Australia) are the absolute bomb. They are the perfect appetizer for Christmas or any celebration. They look amazing (hello Christmas colours!) and they taste delicious too. I have made them tons of times now and they have always been a hit.
- 8 slices prosciutto, sliced lengthways
- 16 small mozzarella balls (or cherry bocconcini)
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- Olive oil, to drizzle
- Sea salt & black pepper, to season
- 16 toothpicks or mini skewers
- Roll up one piece of the prosciutto and thread onto a toothpick (or skewer). Then wrap one of the small mozzarella balls with one of the basil leaves, thread onto the toothpick, then add one of the cherry tomato halves. Place on a plate or in a bowl
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Once all the skewers are placed on a plate or in a bowl, drizzle with the olive oil