elcome to my Christmas Recipe Countdown, where each day leading up to Christmas, I will be sharing recipes from some of my Friday Foodies, as well as a few from myself.
Be prepared for healthy, mouth watering recipes that will help you to cater for all your festive season parties, dinners and get togethers. Each recipe is gluten, dairy and refined sugar free.
On day 12 of my countdown, I am featuring Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash from Jessica Lauren Debry.
What Jessica says:
“This recipe may be your new favorite way to serve quinoa. Tossed with festive ingredients like cranberries and pecans, quinoa is beautifully served in roasted acorn squash halves (bonus: no bowls to wash!). Quinoa is high in protein and rich in anti-inflammatories. This will be a perfect side dish or a vegetarian main meal to cook up for your Christmas feast.”
- 2 medium-sized acorn squash (or you can use any other winter squash, like butternut or pumpkin)
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil
- sea salt
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup cranberries (dried or fresh)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, cut the acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Massage each half with 1 tsp coconut oil and season with sea salt. Place on a large baking sheet and bake for 60-75 minutes.
- While squash is baking, prepare quinoa. In a medium pot, combine 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups water and 1 tsp sea salt. Cover and heat on high until boiling, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- When quinoa is done, add cranberries, pecans, green onions and olive oil. Stir to combine. Taste and add salt or fresh ground pepper if necessary. Set aside.
- After the acorn squash has roasted, remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Scoop quinoa salad into the center cavity of the squash. Serve immediately.
More about Jessica
Jessica Lauren DeBry is a Plant-Powered Foodie, Wellness Entrepreneur, and Blogger. Jessica is on a mission to encourage you to change your well-being, one bite at a time.
After completing her MBA and devoting years to the corporate world, Jessica found herself exhausted and constantly drained. She was sick of constantly struggling with her health and her weight, so she made small daily steps that eventually turned into huge life-altering footprints. When she reached her optimal health, she realized she had one more life ambition to conquer – to switch gears, dedicate her life to wellness, and show other women how they could do the same. She now lives a life of wholeness, passion and purpose.