My healthy slow cooker butter chicken is one of the tastiest slow cooker meals ever. It is gluten and dairy free and super easy to prepare
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 + 3/4 cups coconut milk (coconut cream also works)
- 3/4 cup organic tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (add more if you like it hotter)
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1.25kg chicken thighs (or breasts), cut into small pieces
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan on medium high heat
- Add onion and garlic, cook, stirring frequently for approximately 3 minutes or until the onions have become translucent.
- Add coconut milk, tomato paste, tapioca flour, garam masala, curry powder, chili powder and ginger powder, stirring until well combined and the sauce has started to thicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to the slow cooker, then add the sauce and mix through the chicken
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5 hours.
- Serve with the coriander and your favourite sides (mine with quinoa).
I love to add fresh broccoli and cauliflower in the last hour of cooking and then serve with quinoa.